Our Massage Services > Swedish Massage
What is Swedish Relaxation Massage?
Swedish Relaxation Massage has its roots in the holistic health movement of the 1800's. Swedish Massage is the classic relaxation massage enjoyed in massage therapy centers the world over. The intention of Swedish massage is to relieve muscle tension thereby relieving stress and reviving the client.
Based on the idea of movement of the body as medicine, the massage techniques of Swedish massage therapy focus on moving circulation through the body and mobilizing the joints of the body into various stretches.
How Does It Work?
The American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) defines Swedish Massage as a system of long strokes, kneading and friction techniques focusing on the more superficial layers of the muscles, combined with active and passive movements of the joints. Oils and creams are used to lubricate the client's skin.
Swedish massage therapy uses five classic massage strokes made in the direction of blood flow towards the client's heart to promote blood circulation:
- Effleurage: light gentle gliding strokes that range from superficial to deep;
- Petrissage: Kneading the muscles like dough;
- Friction: compression movements, rubbing, deeper than effleurage and petrissage, with the intention to release deeper layers of tension and promote deeper circulation;
- Tapping: tapotement, percussive movements, good for muscle spasms; and
- Vibration: gentle shaking of the body, can be stimulating or relaxing depending on the duration and the intention of the massage therapist.
The massage therapist will use a combination of these five strokes in a session. They will assess the client's needs both before the session begins and during the actual session. This allows the massage therapist to tailor the massage to the client's immediate needs by the way these strokes are applied and combined. Both the combination, depth, and duration of the classic five massage strokes by the massage therapist will tailor the massage to the client. The massage therapist also follows the client's verbal response to their inquiries as well. This allows for each massage to be a unique and individual experience for the client.
In addition to increasing circulation, these techniques of Swedish massage therapy decrease stress and pain and create overall feelings of enhanced well-being.